Following is a summary of some of the items that were considered at the March 23rd Powell River Regional District Board meeting. This summary is being provided as part of our commitment to transparency. It is our belief that an informed and engaged community results in decisions that serve the common good.
The Board approved the following financial assistance:
- $10,000 to Powell River Outdoor Recreation Trail Society;
- $30,150 to the Powell River Employment Program Society;
- $1,275 to the Lasqueti Island Nature Conservancy;
- $2,500 to the Powell River Therapeutic Riding Association; and
- $700 to the Powell River Cycling Association.
Regional Recreation Discussion Participation
The Board agreed to invite the Director from each respective Electoral Area to participate in a tripartite regional recreation discussion with the City of Powell River and Tla’amin Nation. The discussion will initially focus on the Recreation Complex with a broader context to follow.
Letter of Support
The Board agreed to provide the owners of 4240 Padgett Road a letter of support for changing their Provincial Licence of Occupation for quarrying purposes to a Licence of Occupation for light industrial purposes to more accurately reflect the current use of the property.
Land Use Applications
- approved a riparian areas development permit application for the property located at 2408 & 2410 Zillinsky Road for the construction of a single family dwelling and pump house;
- had no objection to an application for a Crown Land Tenure for Statutory Right of Way for use of an existing road near Dixon Road to provide access to private land for logging operations; and
- had no objection to an application for Crown Land Tenure for Private Moorage located at 10309 Sarah Point Road on the condition that all materials used in the construction of the proposed development consist of those that are inert and will not pollute the marine environment and that public access across the foreshore is not impeded by the proposed development.
Craig Park Tennis Court
The Board awarded a contract to BA Blacktop to complete the planned Craig Park tennis court upgrades and included $99,100 in the 2017 Craig Park budget for the project.
Powell River Regional District – Regional Trails Plan
The Board accepted the 2016 Powell River Regional District – Regional Trails Plan to inform and guide future planning and decision-making related to recreational trails and directed staff to implement the recommendations on pages 118 and 119 of the Plan, recognizing that the first three are of “critical” importance.
Appointment to Powell River Municipal Library Board
The Board appointed Selena Smith to the Powell River Municipal Library Board.
Donation of Land from the Lund Water Improvement District
The Lund Water Improvement District donated approximately 15 acres of land off Finn Bay Road containing the gazebo and surrounding field to the Regional District.
2017-2021 Financial Plan Adoption
The Board adopted 2017-2021 Financial Plan Bylaw No. 516, 2017.
Need More Information?
If you require any further information regarding any of the summary items listed above, please contact the regional district office at 604-485-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The draft minutes for this meeting will be posted to this website under Meetings, Minutes and Agendas as soon as possible.