Following is a summary of some of the items that were considered at the April 25, 2019 qathet Regional District Board. This summary is being provided as part of our commitment to transparency. It is our belief that an informed and engaged community results in decisions that serve the common good.


Liability for Climate-related Harms Act

The Board directed staff to write a letter to Premier Horgan and the appropriate Ministers stating the qathet Regional District requests and endorses the enactment of a Liability for Climate-related Harms Act.

Texada Airport Scheduled Flight Service

The Board directed staff to request proposals from qualified airlines for scheduled air service to Texada Airport should KD Air fail to resume scheduled flights to and from Texada Airport prior to May 3, 2019.

Lund Sewer System Upgrades Project Funds Transfer

The Board approved a budget amendment to transfer $12,680 of the Community Works Funds, originally allocated toward the Lund Sewer Emil Road Sewer Extension project C0044, toward the larger Lund Sewer Upgrade project C0043.

Shelter Point Park and Haywire Bay Park Campground Report

The Board approved the following recommendations for Shelter Point Park Campground and Haywire Bay Park Campground:

  • Construct a limited number of wooden tents or camping sheds to help open new market opportunities.
  • Accurize the recording of revenues and occupancy to allow for better reporting and statistical analysis.
  • Improve campground maps and guides.
  • Install shelter at Shelter Point Park group site.
  • Sell ice and other commodities at campgrounds.
  • Take steps to control Facebook pages for both Parks/Campgrounds.
  • Create a Wi-Fi hotspot at the Shelter Point concession area.
  • Begin accepting reservations on a limited basis and advertise it.
  • Improve community outreach in new ways that improve services and community involvement.
  • Create and implement a marketing plan and advertising strategy that includes improved internet presence and function.
  • Plan to move towards a Campground/Property Management System at both campgrounds.

Savary Island Marine Advisory Committee

The Board directed staff to investigate the Savary Island Marine Advisory Committee taking on responsibility for Indian Point Boat Ramp.

Asset Management Policy 3.14

The Board to adopt Asset Management Policy 3.14 as amended.

qRD Website Update Request for Proposals

The Board directed staff to engage Array Web + Creative to design and build a new website for qathet Regional District for the quoted price of $24,750 as submitted in their Regional District Website Replacement Proposal. Additional funds, not to exceed $7,500, to be allocated to cover any additional costs directly associated with the website replacement project.

Status of Longhouse/Gathering Structure at Shelter Point Park

The Board committed to the construction of a longhouse with interpretive signs at Shelter Point Park in 2020 or beyond dependent on one or more funding streams providing at least 85% of the design and construction costs leaving the remaining 15% to be raised through taxation. An open house/tour to inform the public about the potential plans to construct a longhouse with interpretive signs at Shelter Point Park and to gather input on its preferred location will occur in May and will to coincide with the scheduled visit of Aquilla Archeology.

Bids will be sought in 2019 for the construction  based on input and/or designs provided by Tla’amin Nation.

Staff will apply to Powell River Community Forest in 2019 for project grant funding and to seek out other potential funding sources for the construction.

Mental Health Week

The Board recognizes Mental Health Week May 6 – 12, 2019 and approved benefits premiums to be increased by approximately $5,000 per year to include access to either a registered psychologist or a registered counsellor to a maximum of $1,200 per person per year.

2019 Spring Strategic Planning

The Board to hold full-scale Strategic Planning workshops and commits to May 24, 2019 to hold foundational workshop.

The Board requested members identify to the Chief Administrative Officer the sections of the current strategic plan that they would like to review in detail.

Strategic Priorities Funding Agreement

The Board authorized the Chair and the Corporate Officer to sign the funding agreement between the qathet Regional District and the Union of British Columbia Municipalities for the Resource Recovery Centre project in order to receive the Strategic Priorities funding.

Executive Report – Quarterly Summary 

The Board Rose and Reported on the Quarterly Summary Executive Report.


Need More Information?

If you require any further information regarding any of the summary items listed above, please contact the regional district office at 604-485-2260 or The draft minutes for this meeting will be posted to this website under Meetings, Minutes and Agendas as soon as possible.