Change the batteries in your
Keep your chimney clean
Keep the lint trap and hose
The regional district requests that you post your house number in a prominent location on your property so that our emergency service providers can find you. The best location is a visible spot where your private driveway meets the public road. If you require a house number, please contact the regional district office at 604 485-2260. There are no house numbers on Lasqueti Island.
The Powell River Regional District operates four fire departments. Each department is made up of a committed group of men and women who volunteer their time and energy to help protect their communities. Contact information for each fire department is listed below. Click on the name of the individual fire department for more information. None of our fire halls are manned. If you leave a message at one of the phone numbers below, someone will get back to you. If you require immediate assistance, contact the regional district office at 604 485-2260.
If you have an emergency, please dial 911 unless you reside on Lasqueti Island. To report a fire on Lasqueti Island, call the fire reporting number 250 954-4432 (paging system) and follow the prompts. Do not leave a voice mail message at this number as this is an emergency fire reporting number only. When this number is called, all Lasqueti Island fire department pagers are activated. A fire department dispatcher will call you at the number you entered into the paging system and gather your information. For medical emergencies on Lasqueti, call BC Ambulance at 250 248-3511. They will gather your information and activate the responding team.
IF YOU COME ACROSS THIS SIGN WHEN YOU ARE OUT DRIVING, PLEASE SLOW DOWN, WATCH FOR TRAFFIC CONTROL AND OBEY THEIR SIGNALS.
- Malaspina Volunteer Fire Department– Service area includes properties from the City of Powell River’s east boundary, south to 1.3 km past Roberts Road.
Fire Chief: Dave Keiver
Address: 9999 Hwy. 101, Powell River, BC V8A 0K3
Fire Department Office: Phone 604 487-9911 Fax 604 487-9912
- Northside Volunteer Fire Department – Service area includes properties from just north of Lund (north boundary of DLs 4194, 1615, 4204) south to Tla’amin Nation’s former reserve boundary and includes properties on the Malaspina Peninsula side of Okeover Inlet from Penrose Bay south. It does not include Sharpe’s Bay, Bliss Landing or Savary or Hernando Islands.
Fire Chief: Jim Brown
Address: 8540 Plummer Creek Road, Powell River, BC V8A 0E5
Fire Hall Phone: 604 483-7700
- Lasqueti Island Volunteer Fire Department – Service area includes all of Lasqueti Island.
Fire Chief: Richard Carlson
Address: General Delivery, Lasqueti Island, BC V0R 2J0
Home: Phone 250 240-4128
Work: Phone/Fax 250 333-8733
- Savary Island Volunteer Fire Department – Service area includes all of Savary Island.
Fire Chief: Gareth Jones
Address: PO Box 79, Lund, BC V0N 2G0
Cell Phone: 604 578-8006
If you are not sure if you are in a designated fire protection area, check the map of our fire service areas or call the regional district office 604 485-2260.
Fire Department Funding
Each department provides fire protection services to the properties in its service area and only properties in that service area pay taxes for that department. Properties lying outside of a service area do not pay for or receive fire protection services from the regional district.
Financial Contributions to Fire Department
All financial donations and gifts to any one of our volunteer fire department are gratefully accepted and donors can receive a tax receipt for their contributions.
Other Fire Protection Services In Our Region
City of Powell River: the city has its own fire department. For more information, please contact the city at 604 485-6291 or visit the city’s website.
Texada Island: on Texada, fire protection services are provided by Improvement Districts:
- Van Anda Volunteer Fire Department – Chief Mike Craggs, 604 414-3601 or www.vananda-id.ca/volunteer-firefighter/
- Gillies Bay Volunteer Fire Department – Chief Doug Paton, 604 414-5121 (cell) or www.gilliesbayvfd.ca
Wildfire Prevention Regulations and Restrictions
Click on one of the links below to direct you to information about the burning regulations for each area:
- City of Powell River
- Savary Island
- Van Anda (Texada Island)
- Gillies Bay (Texada Island)
- Provincial – Coastal Fire Centre (applies to all rural areas with no local burning regulation, eg. City of Powell River, Savary Island, Van Anda and Gillies Bay)
Community Wildfire Protection Plans
The Powell River Regional District retained B.A. Blackwell & Associates Ltd. to prepare a Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) for Savary Island in 2009 and for the PRRD mainland in 2014. These CWPPs provide the Regional District with a framework that can be used to identify methods and guide future actions to mitigate fire risk.
- Savary Island CWPP
- PRRD Mainland CWPP
- PRRD Mainland CWPP Summary Presentation
- Fuel Reduction Treatment – Information Sharing Malaspina Naturalists
Fire Protection Brochures & Links
- FireSmart: Protecting your Community from Wildfire: www.firesmartcanada.ca/resources-library/protecting-your-community-from-wildfire
- Protect Your Farm: www.bcwildfire.ca/Prevention/Property/FarmResources.htm
- FireSmart: Homeowner’s Manual: www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/forestry/wildfire-management/prevention/prevention-home-community/bcws_homeowner_firesmart_manual.pdf
- Environmental Management Act and Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation: www.bcairquality.ca/reports/agttobsc.html
- Venting Index: www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/epdpa/venting/venting.html
- Wildfire Management Branch: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp
- Office of the Fire Commissioner: www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/fire-safety