The Powell River Regional District is responsible for solid waste planning for the entire regional district. A Solid Waste Management Plan to guide how we will recycle, compost and dispose of our garbage for the next 10-20 years is currently being updated. A draft version of this Plan was submitted to the Ministry of Environment in 2013, but no approval was received. Once the updated Plan is reviewed and approved by the Ministry of Environment, it will be posted on this website. For further details, click on the Solid Waste Management Plan – Work in Progress link below.
The 2013 draft Plan highlighted a “Working Towards Zero Waste” philosophy to be accomplished through initiatives that are currently underway:
- the development of an education program designed to encourage new waste reduction habits;
- improvements to the convenience of our recycling services;
- the promotion of backyard composting; and
- the investigation of a centralized composting facility.
The Let’s Talk Trash team was brought on by the Regional District to implement a diverse educational program. For further details, click on the Public Education Program link below.
More About Regional Solid Waste & Recycling
- Solid Waste Management Plan – Work in Progress
- Garbage Collection & Disposal
- Illegal Dumping
- Resource Recovery Centre – Funding Received
- Public Education Program
- Preventing Problems with Wildlife
- Invasive Plants in the Region