On October 20, Electors in qathet Regional District Areas A, (excluding Savary Island), B, and C will vote on the following referendum question:
“Are you in favour of the qathet Regional District adopting Bylaw No. 530 to establish with Electoral Areas A, B and C a service for the purpose of providing financial assistance to the City of Powell River for providing regional recreational services and to authorize a maximum annual taxation of $178,500 or $0.153249/$1,000 of net taxable value of land and improvements, whichever is greater?”
qathet Regional District residents who live outside of the Municipality of Powell River currently do not contribute taxes to operate and deliver recreation at the Complex.
The qathet Regional District Board is proposing that electors in Areas A (excluding Savary Island), B, and C contribute annually to the Complex, starting in 2019. On Saturday, October 20, electors can vote in a referendum on this question during General Local Elections. Advance Voting takes place Wednesday, October 10.
- Regional Park and Proposed Regional Recreation Comparison
- Breakdown of average cost per household in each participating Electoral Area
- Presentation from the Public Information Meeting – Tuesday, September 25, 2018
- Notice of Public Information Meeting – Tuesday, September 25, 2018 – Sub-Regional Recreation Contribution Service – Bylaw 530
- Staff Report – Sub-Regional Recreation – June 21, 2018 Committee of the Whole
- Staff Report – Public Information for Assent Voting – August 16 Committee of the Whole
- Notice of Assent Voting – Sub Regional Recreation Bylaw 530
- Scrutineers for Assent Voting
Synopsis of Proposed Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 530 – “Sub-Regional Recreation Contribution Service Establishment Bylaw No. 530, 2018”- click here to view entire bylaw
The general intent of this bylaw is to establish a service to provide financial assistance to City of Powell River for the operation of the City’s Recreation Complex. The area that is subject to the bylaw is all of Electoral Area A, excluding Savary Island, and all of Electoral Areas B and C. The maximum annual taxation for the service is $178,000, or $0.153249/$1000 of net taxable value on land and improvements.